It was in the year 1850 that Castle Street Congregational Church had its origin. The small band met for worship in the house of one of its members. After 4 years, there was a desire to erect a building. The Salvation Army Citadel was the building that was used and was called Zoar English Wesleyan Chapel 1854. In 1867, a revival spread over the town and Zoar became too small to accommodate those who wished to attend. A more central position was sought to erect a new Church with a seating capacity of over 900. The foundation stone was laid on 2nd December 1875. The cost of this beautiful building was £4000 and it was opened in April 1877 and was then known as Castle Street Congregational Church.